John and Mary Louise Riley Geology Lecture Series
The John and Mary Louise Riley Geology Lecture Series is sponsored by the Geology Club, an academic club with the common interest of rocks, fossils, and the Earth. Geology seminars take place in Darwin 128 at noon on Wednesdays. Coffee and cookies will/could be served.
All talks take place in Darwin 128 from 12:00-12:50
Fall 2023 Schedule of Events -
- Wednesday September 27th - Austin Elliott from the USGS will discuss his research surrounding how we study contemporary earthquakes and faulting in the landscape both with boots-on-the-ground fieldwork and from spaceborne satellite sensors.
- Wednesday October 11th - Neil Kelley from Vanderbilt University will discuss his research on Ichthyosaurs in NV. This talk will also be on zoom: https://SonomaState.zoom.us/j/84028217578
- Wednesday October 18th - Dawnika Blatter from the USGS
- Wednesday November 15th - David Bero, emeritus lecturer from SSU will discuss his research on the Franciscan.
- Wednesday November 29th - Joshua Goodwin from the Board for Professional Engineers, Land Surveyors and Geologists will discuss the professional licensure process.
Spring 2023 Schedule of Events
- Wednesday February 15th - Janet Sowers from Fugro. "Fault investigations to site a geothermal landfill in the Imperial Valley"
- Wednesday March 8th - Felix Desperrier.
- Wednesday April 5th - Mark Stelten from the USGS in Menlo Park
- Talk cancelled
Wednesday April 26th - Jason Westlee Craig from Stanford University
- Wednesday May 3rd - Steve Schurke, Patrick Conway, and Mayerline Rico from PJC and Associates
Fall 2021 Schedule of Events
The Fall 2021 speaker series will take place virtually on Zoom. Links to the talk can also be found on the Sonoma State Geology Club Facebook Page.
- Thursday October 7th from 12-1 - Samantha Carruthers. SSU Geology graduate working for Dahrouge Geological Consulting. https://SonomaState.zoom.us/j/88048271359
- Thursday October 21st from 12-1 - Meghomita Das. Structural and depositional evolution of the Angel Island “terrane”, Franciscan Complex Forearc, California. https://SonomaState.zoom.us/j/88048271359
- Talk Cancelled
Thursday November 18th from 12-1 - Peter Johnson from GNS Science in New Zealand talking about geothermal energy and reservoirs. https://SonomaState.zoom.us/j/88048271359
- Thursday December 2nd from 12-1 - Mary Leech from San Francisco State. https://SonomaState.zoom.us/j/88048271359
Spring 2021 Schedule of Events
The Spring 2021 speaker series will take place virtually on Zoom. Links to the talk can be found on the Sonoma State Geology Club Facebook Page.
- Wednesday March 10th from 12-1 - Nick Bel. https://SonomaState.zoom.us/j/81967179165
- Wednesday March 17th from 12-1 - Kurt Burmeister and Allison Jones. https://SonomaState.zoom.us/j/88197269385
- Wednesday April 7th from 12-1 - Matt Patrick from the USGS. https://SonomaState.zoom.us/j/84632725085
- Wednesday May 12th from 12-1 - Senior Thesis Presentations. https://SonomaState.zoom.us/j/87089550438
Fall 2020 Schedule of Events
The fall 2020 speaker series will take place virtually on Zoom. Links to the talk can be found on the Sonoma State Geology Club Facebook Page.
- Thursday October 1st from 12 to 1 - Dave Fowler
- Thursday November 5th from 12 to 1 - Alan Chapman from Macalaster University
Spring 2020 Schedule of Events
The final events in the 2020 Lecture Series have been cancelled due to the shutdown of campus. The following links will take you to the University COVID-19 page and the Academic Affairs COVID-19 Info Hub
- January 22nd - Candidate #1 for Ig/Met Tenure Track Faculty Position
- January 29th - Candidate #2 for Ig/Met Tenure Track Faculty Position
- February 4th (Tuesday) - Candidate #3 for Ig/Met Tenure Track Faculty Position
- February 6th (Thursday)- Candidate #4 for Ig/Met Tenure Track Faculty Position
April 1st - Alan Chapman from Macalester College April 15th - Brennan Williams-Mieding from West Coast Geologic will talk about his work drilling in the Geysers. April 29th - Dave Fowler from the State of California at the North Coast Regional Water Quality Control Board
Spring 2019 Schedule of Events
- February 6th - Mike Jewitt from Miller Pacific Engineering Group
- February 12th - Darwin Day Special Tuesday Seminar featuring Greg Priest from Stanford University.
- February 20th - Diego Melgar from the EarthScope Speaker Series
- March 27th - Matt Malkowski from Stanford University
- April 17th - Zeno Levy from the USGS
- April 24th - Nicole Lunning from Rutgers University
Fall 2018 Schedule of Events
- September 12th - Laurie Racca from the Board for Professional Geologists
- October 17th - Max Rudolph from UC Davis
- November 14th - Tom Anderson from the University of Nevada Reno and SSU
- November 28th - Katherine Wentz from Remote Sensing Systems (RSS)
- December 5th - Nate Eichelberger from StructureSolver
Spring 2018 Schedule of Events
- January 23rd - Robin Glass from Syracuse University
- January 30th - Ferdinand Oberle from the USGS
- February 6th – Sarah Evans from Appalachian State University
- February 8th - Carolina Munoz from the University of California Berkeley
- March 7th - Elisa Fitz from the University of Mexico
- April 4th - Becca Lawton, a science writer from Sonoma county
- April 18th - Pria Shukla from Bodega Marine Lab